About this policy
We are grateful for the trust you place in us, to arrange holidays, manage holiday properties and to use personal information responsibly. We are committed to protecting your information and we believe you have a right to know how we will use it. This policy sets out the data protection principles we follow.
We generally use your data either on the basis of your consent, or based on a contract between us (e.g. when you book a holiday). You have the right to withdraw your consent.
If you withdraw your consent (e.g. by opting out of marketing communications), we will stop processing your data as requested. Bear in mind if you have a holiday booked and you have not yet travelled, we’ll still need to hold onto your data so we can process the holiday. That’s because the contract between us is the basis for using your data (rather than consent). For more information, see the “Legal basis of processing” section below.
Personal information we collect
In order to provide you with the best possible holiday service, we collect the following information:
- Identification: name, title, date of birth, age/age range, gender.
- Contact details: postal addresses (main and billing), phone numbers, email addresses.
- Bookings: property booked, holiday start/end dates, cost of holiday, amounts paid, limited details of other people booked on the same holiday (names, gender, age range),
- Marketing preferences: whether you wish to receive marketing information from us, and if so, by which methods (postal, email, telephone, SMS).
- Payment: method, the last four digits of card numbers, payment card expiry date, amounts collected, third party payment service provider references. Please note that we do not capture or store your full card details: payment is handled by our payment service providers (see below).
- Browsing: historical searches, how you use our website and mobile apps, website experience user survey responses, the devices and IP addresses you use to access our services (operating system, browser, …). We collect this information so that we can continuously improve our website and our service to you.
- Holiday experience: any feedback you leave, responses to customer satisfaction surveys, whether you have a pet, interests (e.g. preferred holiday type, such as walking holidays).
- Specific to property owners: addresses of your properties, historical and future booking information (see above), photographs/videos of the properties you own.
- Communication: recordings of your phone conversations with our call centre, web chat messages, emails, customer service cases, responses to questionnaires, competition entries, your interaction with our marketing (clicking links in our marketing emails, for example – we track this to help ensure our communications are relevant and interesting).
- Through our partnerships, we may receive some of the above information from other companies you use (e.g. other online holiday companies that feature our properties). In such cases, those companies must also inform you about their use of your data.
How we use your personal information
We use your personal information to:
- Manage your holiday booking/letting
- Personalise your online experience – showing you the most suitable holiday properties, for example
- Enable the display of the most appropriate adverts on our websites and on other websites and services where we place advertising
- Communicate with you, including for example, responding to your emails, messages on social media, handling customer service matters and so on.
- Process your payments
- With your permission, send you relevant marketing information such as details of competitions, special offers and properties we think will be of interest to you
- Manage competitions, promotions and special offers in which you participate
- Make sure our servers and websites are operating correctly
How we collect personal information
We receive personal information from:
Legal basis of processing
There are several grounds on which we will store and use your data. As follows: Contract: much of the time, our use of your data will be because of the contract between us – that is, in relation to your holiday booking. We will usually retain relevant data for up to six years from the date the contract completes – e.g. the last day of your holiday. Legal obligations: we are under certain binding legal obligations, such as accounting to the government for tax and making financial records available for audit. In such cases, we are typically obliged to retain data for up to seven years from the date of the transaction. Legitimate interests: we use data to manage our operations and to make business process improvements. Rest assured, our legitimate interests will never override your right to privacy.
Payment service providers
In order to ensure your transactions are as secure as possible, we hand over payment card processing to the following suppliers:
- Sage Pay Europe Limited, North Park, Newcastle upon Tyne, NE13 9AA